Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Digital TV Transition

Today was supposed to be the day that analog TV went bye bye. But thanks to our new president, procrastinators now have until June. Sort of. Broadcasters were given the option to turn off their analog signals today. Four stations where I live actually did turn their analog transmitters off today. Luckily for me, I was able to use the transition as an excuse to convince my wife that we needed a new flat screen TV. We have satellite service for cable stations, but I'm way to cheap to spend the five dollars a month for local channels. I was able to argue that it was a much better investment to buy a $1400 46" LCD TV and a $30 antenna instead of keeping our old analog 27" TV and buying a $60 digital to analog converter box ($10 after the government rebate). I'm still not quite sure how I won that argument. I guess I'm just lucky to have a tech savvy wife who understands the economy of tech coolness versus the economy of dollars and cents.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't win the argument. You just bought the TV against my better judgement. That is not to say that I don't enjoy it now but, I sure would love to not be paying for it either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's nice to see both sides of the story here... :-)

    ReplyDelete