Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Video conferencing everywhere

Part of my job allows me to work with the latest video conferencing technology. This allows me to sometimes see what the tech future holds. In the next couple of years video conferencing will be everywhere. From cell phones, to computers, to TV's, you will not just hear who you're talking to on a call, but you will also see them. While I'm a strong advocate for enhanced communication through video interaction, I've begun to think of the negative implications. For one, it will be harder to call in faking that your sick. Instead of your boss saying you don't sound sick, he'll say you don't look sick. Second, with video conferencing on cell phones, the government will have to pass a new law banning video calls while driving. And finally, no more using the phone while using the bathroom. Not that I've ever done this. So get ready to smile because soon you will be seen and heard by those that you remotely communicate with.

No comments:

Post a Comment