Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Plasma vs. LCD

In the line of work that I'm in, I always get asked the question: which is better Plasma or LCD? Both display technologies have their pluses and minuses. Plasma screens typically re-create motion better, cost less, and have a wider off axis viewing angle. The down side is burn in and power consumption. My friend Jon says that "Plasma" means that its alive and any technology that's alive must be worth buying. LCD screens are thinner, weigh less, use less power, and display static images in incredible detail. Some LCD's have trouble with fast motion but the latest models have made great strides in eliminating the problem. For my taste I bought a Sharp Aquos 46" LCD TV. I chose this make and model for a number of reasons and am very happy for my choice. Part of the decision is that I'm pretty confident that in the next year or two Plasma displays will no longer be manufactured. So the question is no longer: Plasma or LCD? it's LCD or OLED? OLED??? - Organic Light Emitting Diode is the latest in display technology. Sony just released their first 40" display using this technology. The display is as thick as three credit cards and only takes one to purchase. It's also organic, so it must be good for you. I've included a link for those interested: www.sonystyle.com/oled . More manufacturers will soon be releasing OLED displays soon and the price will eventually drop to a reasonable price.

2 comments:

  1. I like that one! 3 credit cards thick and only 1 to purchase...pretty funny Jeff Ü

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's thin! i'm sticking with my LG 37" LCD model for now though. :-)

    ReplyDelete