Tuesday, April 14, 2009

To twit or not to twit

After taking a week off to celebrate my wife's birthday, I'm pondering the relevance of Twitter. About a month ago I decided to join twitter out of curiosity. Initially I did not see the point or understand the premise of Twitter. After all I reluctantly joined the Facebook cult and have since indoctrinated others to join. Twitter is just one of those things you have to try to understand. My best definition is a social networking, micro-blogging site, that allows you to follow anyone else who is on Twitter including actors, sports figures, musicians, politicians, and companies. At first it feels a little strange having a window into the daily lives of famous people. You find yourself thinking, "Should I really know what this actor had for lunch or that they just used the bathroom?" For the most part the people I follow have pretty witty post and that makes them seem a little more normal. Some tech savvy people I know have even figured out how to link their post to go to all of the social networking sites that they are a part of. In the city where I live, Twitter recently saved the life of a woman contemplating suicide. She posted a tweet to actress Demi Moore about what she was considering. Luckily people were able to intervene and she got the help she needed. So go on give Twitter a try.

As a side note, last week I made a phone call using my iPod through Skype. I just think that is so cool. Geeky, but still cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment