Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Technoholics Anonymous

I recently have been pondering weather we as a society have become increasingly addicted to technology. This idea has been spurred by recent observations of tech around me. I have a son that is almost 3 and he loves to play with my Ipod touch. I have downloaded about 10 preschool apps along with a couple of preschool videos. My son has enjoyed all of the apps that I have downloaded for him, but he has also become curious about the other apps I have. He has recently discovered the app Tap Tap Revenge 2 and loves the Stroke 9 song Tap Tap DomiNation. Somehow he has picked up on the words tap tap and he says "play tap tap". He has also become enamored with the Star Wars light saber app. His fascination with these apps have made me worry that he's too young to be into these types of things and that he'll turn into a video game addict. Also, when he asks to use my Ipod, he calls it a Mypod. Hey, I thought I was a part of the "me" generation. It's pretty scary to watch him navigate through the Ipod. He has figured out how to do pretty much everything except sending e-mail. Check that, I apologize if anyone on my contact list has gotten e-mails with the following text: apowiehjnadshfasfj. I still have yet to teach him how to use spell check.

We use technology so much in our daily lives, that we now don't know what to do when it's not available. On my way home from work (I was coming from a construction meeting from a local fruit based company), the guy sitting next me was multitasking between his 2 Iphones and his Ibook. I'll overlook his addiction since he works for the company that makes those products. I also heard a story about the long term affects of Hurricane Ike in Texas. This June, Texas is about to experience a mini baby boom. Hurricane Ike caused power outages in certain areas of Texas for a number of days. I guess since people were not able to use their everyday tech, well... you can connect the dots. Let's just say there will be about twice as many babies born during the first part of June in the region.
So whats the solution? I'm not sure, but maybe we need to start support groups to help wean ourselves off of tech. A sort of 12 step program for geeks. Step one: Admit you have a problem....
With that I'll leave you with a link to a YouTube video about Facebook. http://rhettandlink.com/videos/#facebook-song

2 comments:

  1. okay, that video/song was excellent!!

    and yes, we're totally addicted to technology...i believe i own 4 ipods...can i listen to more than one at a time? of course not. but, i have options. isn't that what's important? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you started you own techs anonymous yet? I think you qualify Ü I probably do too, lol!

    ReplyDelete