Tuesday, May 5, 2009

To much information

Over the past week our country has been bombarded with news about the swine flu. Oops, I meant H1N1. I don't want to offend any swine. On one hand I agree that we need to know about virus outbreaks than can become pandemics, but I also feel the media got a little carried away on swine flu updates. I understand how a virus can spread so fast with the globalization of our world, but the virus I'm more concerned with is the media frenzy of both information and misinformation. All of this media over saturation is enough to make you sick. Not once did I hear the mainstream media report about the hundreds of normal flu related deaths each day in our country during each flu season.
Over the weekend, I caught a cold from my son. At one point, I felt bad enough to look up the swine flu symptoms to make sure I didn't have it. Luckily I don't, but I still can't explain my craving for bacon. I'm feeling better now, but am not looking forward to the next headline of bad news to send the world into another information pandemic. "Just in an outbreak has been reported of dolphin flu spreading across west coast beaches".

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! This has truly been madness. And I crave bacon every day, so there's really nothing to be alarmed about there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's okay to call it swine flu, as the pigs spreading this disease (um, isn't it now the PEOPLE spreading it now?) are the types that you wouldn't want to take home to your mother.

    RE: Media's response = Terror sells. 'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete