Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What's that for again?


This past Saturday I found a bag, from my phone company, with a book in it, on my doorstep. I brought it inside to ask my wife if she wanted to keep it. After I took a quick look at the size of it, my wife threw it in the recycling trash bin. We have not used a phonebook in years. I found myself wondering why does the phone company still go to the trouble of publishing and delivering phonebooks? I'd gladly let them reduce the price of my basic local only phone service in exchange for not wasting a tree. Yes, I still have a land line, I'm old school that way. For some reason I get annoyed when people call me on it. One of the things that caught my eye with the phonebook is how much it has shrunk in size. especially the yellow pages. This it the first time I remember the yellow pages being smaller than the white pages. Now for the confession: Saturday evening came and it was getting close to bedtime. My wife and I kept hearing the intermittent chirp of a car alarm across the street from our house. We did not recognize the car and did not know which neighbor to bother to ask if they knew who the owner was. Wanting to get some sleep, I decided to call the police non emergency number. Our computer was already shut down for the night, so I found myself fishing the phonebook out of the trash to look the number up. I called and quickly found that you have to use a land line to dial 311. The police arrived and found the owner. I ripped the page out and put the rest of the phonebook back in the trash. Thank you AT&T.

3 comments:

  1. ha-ha-ha-ha! okay, that's hilarious. i totally agree about the phone book though...i'm always annoyed when i come home and find one at my door...i just walk it immediately to the recycle bin...

    really interesting that you can't dial 311 from the cell phone though...i don't think i like it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!!!! Here's the deal.....for us old folks, Lots of people still use the good old phonebook. I do imagine that in the near future it will become obselete. But I have to admit I still use it Ü. It does have a variety of uses though. Helped you with your call to the police, use it as booster seat, make a Christmas tree by folding the pages back & spray paint green & gold, and so much more!......hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay...so not even kidding...that freaking phone book showed up today! it did not make it inside...went straight to the recycling bin...and when i opened the lid? multiple phone books were waiting to greet mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete